In 1867, when Maastricht began demolishing the old city walls, people were glad to get more
room to breathe. But today we are happy with the characteristic walls and gates that are
conserved, thank to the fervent pleading by Victor de Stuers. As a little compensation, the gate
called 'Poort Waerachtig' (see the picture) was built in 1888.
Outside the old gate called Pieterspoort, Maastricht built the new town district Villapark
for the rich. When they went to the town, they went via a beautiful park and through the
Hellgate. Outside the Brusselsepoort it built the church of Saint Lambert, but (alas!) on a weak
subsoil. Near this church there came a second new town district, outside the roads surrounding the town
that had been laid on the traject of the demolished city walls. At the east side of the city, stately
boulevards were constructed. So Wijck got a much better aspect. In this area came the new railway
station too, in 1915.
After the annexations of sint Pieter, Oud Vroenhoven and a part of Meerssen, and finally
Heer and Amby, Maastricht laid out large outer city districts. As an example we mention the
popular district Wittevrouwenveld, with the new stadium of the local football club.